SAFER GIVING CAMPAIGN
To donate with confidence, always “ASK, CHECK, GIVE”!
The Safer Giving Campaign was launched by the Commissioner of Charities in September 2018 to empower members of the public to ASK, CHECK before they GIVE to charities. The commissioner, Dr Ang Hak Seng said, “As more people do their checks, its harder to abuse the system. When donors have more trust (in fund-raising appeals), they will also give more.”
Charities welcomed this new campaign as it will boost donors’ confidence in giving if they did their checks. The public are encouraged to do the following before donating;
ASK – Some questions to ask before giving;
- Who are the beneficiaries?
- What will my donation be used for?
- How can I receive my updates?
CHECK – How to check if the fund-raiser is legitimate
- Go to the Commissioner of Charities website charities.gov.sg to find out if the group is registered as a charity.
- Use your phone to scan the QR code on the fund-raising permit which the fund-raiser carries to find out if the charity has a valid permit to raise funds from the public.
GIVE – Donate with confidence
The public can now pledge their donation with confidence. When in doubt, they should contact or find out more about the charity. They must never feel pressurised to give.